2020 West Virginia Outstanding Logger AwardEnter your simplified nomination today!
The WVFA “WV Outstanding Logger” award program is designed to recognize outstanding independent logging contractor performance. Through recognition of competent professional logging contractors within the forestry community, peer organizations (other independent logging contractors) have a model to emulate and raise the overall performance of the broader industry. Additionally, recognition programs such as this help improve forester-logger-landowner relations by publicly recognizing outstanding logging performance as an essential element of every planned timber harvest.
The “WV Outstanding Logger” award program is modeled directly from the Forest Resources Association (FRA) Outstanding Logger Program, providing a direct opportunity for the selected logger to move up to regional and national award programs.
Many of our West Virginia loggers are among the best in the industry, so please help recognize the professional work that they complete every day!
Nominations Due April 30, 2020.
- The minimum requirements for nomination of “WV Outstanding Logger” are:
- All timbering operations will have “Notification Forms” on file with the WV Division of Forestry.
- Appropriate safety gear for eye, ear, head, foot, hand, and leg protection will be mandatory for all employees as hazards dictate.
- Logger must be in good standing with the WV Division of Forestry.
- Nominators may nominate more than one logger.
- Those loggers previously selected as “WV Outstanding Logger” cannot be nominated the following year.
- The WV Outstanding Logger Selection Committee will evaluate each written nomination and select 3 State Finalists based on the details provided in the written nomination by the second Wednesday in May.
- The WV Outstanding Logger Selection Committee will conduct field visits to select the State Winner by the first Wednesday in July.
- The State Finalists and the State Winner will be recognized by the WVFA at the Annual Meeting in July at Canaan Valley State Park.
- Consideration will be given to the type of operation, equipment involved, the desired results, available markets, economic limitations of the logger, and limitations by the landowner specifications.
- Nominees will be evaluated based on the suggested guidelines listed below:
WVFA “WV OUTSTANDING LOGGER” AWARD GUIDELINES
The selection committee will assess each logger based on the following five criteria. Please highlight some of the nominees practices and activities related to these criteria in the short nomination statement.
- Nominee establishes and enforces harvesting and transportation safety standards/regulations/practices…and personally adheres to them?
- Nominee and employees use personal protective equipment?
- Nominee provides safety training for employees?
- Describe safety features or modifications on harvesting/transportation
- Nominee has developed unique approaches to safety (i.e. bonus for number of hours of safe work, ).
- Other safety information?
- Nominee knows and follows AF&PA’s Sustainable Forestry
- List types of harvest (clearcut, selection, thinning, ) performed by nominee.
- Describe how nominee plans, constructs, and retires landings and road
- Nominee follows forest management plans?
- Nominee carries out soil erosion protection measures?
- Nominee has developed some unique approaches to forest management with landowners?
- Other forest management information?
- Describe nominee’s major harvesting and transportation equipment
- Scheduled maintenance program?
- Appearance of equipment?
- Nominee’s utilization standards?
- Nominee practices top and slash disposal?
- Nominee concerned with aesthetics of timber harvesting?
- Nominee cleans up landings at job completion?
- Nominee leaves buffer strips?
- Nominee adheres to local timber harvesting ordinances/regulations?
- Nominee has harvested timber from certified Tree Farms?
- Other timber harvesting information?
- List number and job titles of nominee’s employees.
- Describe types of insurance (Workers Comp, health, retirement, liability, life, hazard) which nominee carries for operation, employees, or himself.
- Describe relationship between nominee and local business community.
- Nominee uses written contracts when purchasing or cutting and hauling timber?
- Describe nominee’s payroll and bookkeeping system.
- Other business management information?
- Nominee’s previous awards?
- Does nominee maintain any community or association memberships? Has he/she ever served on any committees, held offices, or been active in other programs?
- Does nominee have any family involvement in the business?
- Describe nominee’s ability to work cooperatively with landowners, foresters, general public, other loggers, press, etc.
- Nominee distributes literature (forest management, association membership, safety, etc.)
- Describe how nominee handles referrals for forest management assistance.
- Describe any presentations on logging/harvesting made by nominee.
- List or describe any news articles, press coverage, etc. on logging/timber harvesting by nominee.
- Does nominee participate in Log A Load For Kids campaign or other charitable fund-raising activities?